bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: figures and tables always on top of the page? I have to write a scientific paper for a university course. As far as I know, and as far as I have ever seen, tables and figures are always - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I believe that you are over-generalising. Figures and tables OFTEN appear at the top of a new page because of the requirement not to split them over page breaks.

That does NOT mean that they must be placed there if there is enough space on the previous page to enable them to be placed where they fall naturally in the text.

In a paper with many small figures, it would be very off-putting for the reader if every reference to a figure on the recto (odd-numbered page) after the first line required you to turn over because of an entirely arbitrary decision on placement at the top.

In ages past when journal editors decided layout, figures were placed by authors at the end of the manuscript on separate pages. As powerful page layout software becomes generally available, many journals have removed that restriction.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Murray165

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best