bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How can I help a writing-phobic but competent student develop their writing? I am a professor in a science department and I am working with a student that has significant anxiety about writing, - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

A few things I've done, with some success, with students:

Supervised writing sprints: have the student write in the classroom or during office-hours for a short, intense amount of time. Whatever they write is what they provide for review. After the first few sessions, some of the fear is gone and some of the benefits of the draft/feedback/revision cycle become apparent to the student.
Have the student write drafts (or parts of drafts) by hand. I tried using an editor that had a mode that only allowed typing forward, but writing by hand was just more workable.

Unfortunately, the best techniques--and there are scads of sites out there that repeat all the common advice--demand willingness on the part of the student (and tie more directly to intrinsic motivations). If they aren't willing or able to "adjust their head" then it's nearly impossible to adjust it for them.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Moriarity138

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best