bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How about a story as a series of anecdotes? I have a concept for a story I'd like to do where my purpose for writing the story is simply to explore a hypothetical society by means of anecdotes - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Actually, this is a quite common format of a story as a blog.

Explore the idea of Tumblr "ask blogs". The blog owner impersonates a protagonist, who then answers questions of readers and tells his/her own stories as separate entries. This is usually accompanied by rich illustration but not always - there are quite a few text-only ask blogs (one of which is regularly updated by yours verily...)

The questions are actually a nice addition. They set direction and pace, they allow for more live interaction between the protagonist and the audience, give extra insights and ideas... generally writing that way is much easier than plain writing of novels. The protagonist may even ask the audience for advice when in a bind. (some of those are almost solely based on that, a kind of role-playing game where the audience suggests actions of the protagonist.)

Just how you incorporate the protagonist's ability to interact with the blogosphere is up to you... voices in his head? A magical communication device?

Now I don't know if any of the text blogs ever reached paper publication, but I heard of some of the graphical ones to be released as normal comic book releases.

Now for your question: "what do you do when your premise for a story is not based on the plot or conflict?".

There always is a plot and a conflict. Or many minor ones. Small, bite-sized conflicts, stories that occupy a single entry maybe a page long. Story arcs that take a couple entries. Amusing retrospections and world building in between.
The fact the stories are anecdote-sized doesn't invalidate them in the least, and in our modern world always in a hurry, such instant gratification pills of text may be more attractive than full books.

So... just go ahead and get to it!

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Dunderdale623

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best