bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: It is a sign of bad writing to have many scenes that are disconnected with the main plot? So my novel look like this (I took this diagram idea from this site, but I'm not sure exactly from - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Along with nodding vigorously at everything Neil said...

You can have discontinuity in the beginning, but at some point it has to be apparent to the reader how these threads are connected.

In GRRMartin's Song of Ice and Fire series, the main action takes place on the continent of Westeros. Dany Targaryen is the exiled daughter of a previous king of Westeros, and all her story takes place far to the south. But a few characters cross back and forth, and Dany's entire purpose is to come back to Westeros to reclaim the throne. So the main plotline may or may not interact with Dany's so far, but the reader knows that at some point they will.

If Plotline A is an echo of or metaphor for Plotline B, I would say that by the time we're a third of the way in, the reader should be getting some clear hint that they are connected.

There may be an audience for "impenetrable characters doing things for opaque intents," but I really prefer to be able to figure out what the hell is going on and why. Mystery is great as long as the mystery is both solvable and revealed.

One example is the movie Murder by Death. It's a parody of great detective characters, and [SPOILER] if you've never seen it:

in the end scene, the antagonist complains about books in which the murderer was only caught because the detective knew something the audience didn't, and there was no way for the reader to figure it out because the writer deliberately withheld detail.

Don't do that.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Debbie451

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best