bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Ideas for nicknames of characters in a story I'm translating a short story into English. 1). The protagonist is a woman in her mid-forties. There was a time when she used to copy out verses - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I don't know of any women willing to adopt a nickname that calls attention to their being overweight. For one thing, most such nicknames are pejorative or uncomplimentary. For another, many women believe that being overweight is unlikely to improve their public image. Hence an overtly-fat-sounding nickname may lend implausibility to the story, translation or not, unless you indicate that it takes place in a culture where it is positive to be fat.

You might consider Roly Poly, which is less negative than some other names. Also consider Big Mama, a nickname used positively by Josephine Joseph and by Willie Mae Thornton. I'd say the image of Big Momma is less positive.

Some people use the terms Amazonian and Junoesque to describe large women, so Amazon and Juno are possible nicknames. (1,2,3,4,5)

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Cugini967

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best