bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Steven Johnson's DevonThink writing workflow: is creating & accumulating 50-500 word snippets worth the effort? Steven Berlin Johnson talks in this much cited article about his research workflow - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

Steven Berlin Johnson talks in this much cited article about his research workflow using DevonThink. In short, he advocates for creating 50-500 word focused text snippets from your research readings and placing them in DevonThink for future use. Reason: short, focused snippets allows DevonThink's "See Also" AI feature to come up with many overlooked associations between your snippets. These associations allow you to get a much more in-depth use of your previously read research that you may have forgotten about or never made a link to on your own.

My question: is it worth the effort? Is the pain of accumulating enough 50-500 word snippets in DevonThink during research worth the gain you receive from it in the writing process? Converting previously-read articles to 50-500 word snippets can be very time consuming. And the effort required to create a DevonThink snippet database large enough to make the "See Also" function useful is a substantial investment.

Has anyone used both Johnson’s DevonThink workflow and another database applicaton with standard search features? Can you offer a comparison? Are the associations and “new leads” that are uncovered using Johnson’s DevonThink 50-500 word snippet technique worth the effort? Or will you get, for example, 80-90% of the same results just using whole articles dumped into Evernote, EagleFiler etc and relying on its built-in search functions when retrieving research ideas? Are these two research techniques comparable or entirely different in their results? If so, how?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Annie587

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I've never heard of wasting so much time doing it that way.
But it is not uncommon to write a single paragraph, and then create a series of short one or two line MRUs (Motivation Reaction Unit) lines from it.

This method is used a lot in mysteries so you do not overlook clues, or use them, or a description of something more than once. Or to prevent redundant descriptions of a scene.

When I am compiling my research notes, I often write a list of keywords or short sentences to glance over quickly for what I'm looking for. The programs I use now let me link the notes to the articles, so if I forget what my note meant, I can click on it and it takes me to the article. I often have several links to the same article to cover all facets of what it contained.

VTY
Dutch

Load Full (0)