bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do I organize a paragraph that lists several steps after an introduction? I have a paragraph like below: A hypothetical solution is like this: first, we can use a table to record entries. - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I haven't checked what the classic style guides say on this, but my personal practice is that in such cases, I capitalize what comes after the colon. If each "point" is long enough to be its own paragraph, then I make the first one its own paragraph also. Like:

A hypothetical solution might be set up like this:

First, we can use a table to record entries. These entries are imported from a library or a database. A spreadsheet program is easiest for data manipulation.

Second, we sort the entries according to the number of ninjas. This will be useful when creating sorties.

Etc.

If the entries are short enough to all be in one paragraph, I still capitalize the first one:

A hypothetical solution might be set up like this: First, we can use a table to record entries. Second, we sort the entries according to the number of ninjas. Third, etc.

Capitalizing, and possibly making a separate paragraph for, the first entry creates a parallel construct with all the other entries.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Deb2945533

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best