bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Making simple sentences more interesting The street is filled with cars and people. I tend to write simple, straightforward sentences, like the one above. Can you suggest ways I can write - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

So... what can be interesting about the street with cars and people? My first guesses are: action, thoughts and emotions.

Action:

The street is filled with cars and people, beeping and shouting at
each other in the endless war for the right to pass through.

Thoughts:

The street is filled with cars and people. Too many of them, but I
won't do anything about it anyways.

Emotions:

The street is filled with cars and people. I enjoy my everyday habit
of crossing it - there's always some pretty girl passing me in this
place.

If you notice that I didn't touch your words at all, you're right. They are OK. Simple words are good, because they are good and simple. It's mainly the context what matters.

Also, the situation of a street filled with cars and people is casual one. It's boring, because if we take out all the context, all such streets are pretty much the same. So the sentence doesn't need to be the most interesting one. Being as simple as it is, it serves it's role very good. This way you say the reader that it's just a typical street with just some random cars and just ordinary people crossing it. There's nothing wrong with it.

Also this sentence, being simple, can be a good starting point for a twist, which leads to something more interesting.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Debbie451

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best