bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : An adjective relating to the circus? I'm looking for an adjective which essentially means "of or relating to the circus." My context is: As they stood in the doorway, taking in the circus-like - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

I'm looking for an adjective which essentially means "of or relating to the circus." My context is:

As they stood in the doorway, taking in the circus-like activities around them...

But "circus-like" is garbage, can anyone suggest a good adjective to use in its place? Alternatively, I could replace the entire described noun ("circus-like activities") with something better. I suppose I could just called it a "circus" directly, which will probably be my fall back.

I'm not entirely oppose to making up words, but it would need to be easily comprehensible to the reader. I was thinking something like "circusian" or "circusean".

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Jennifer354

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

"Circensian" is a word, which means "of or relating to the Circus in ancient Rome", so you could potentially consider using that, but it likely doesn't really fit.

Since this is Writers.SE, however, I would fall back to Stephen King's comment that “The road to hell is paved with adjectives.” Why not simply describe the activities that are occuring around them? "circus-activities" is so incredibly broad that it's boring and meangingless. It's difficult to say really without knowing the full context of the sentence, but I suspect that describing the action would be a better option. There are jugglers, freaks, unicyclists, clowns, ring masters, men of strength, bearded ladies ... use the imagination, and make your text richer through showing.

Load Full (0)