bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Where do I fit in the future of publishing? So I'm at that awful point in life where I've graduated college, painfully unemployed and no real direction in life. Trying to get it together - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

So I'm at that awful point in life where I've graduated college, painfully unemployed and no real direction in life. Trying to get it together currently. Computers, code, software, apps, web, anything like that I can do, and the idea that that skill base is marketable to any industry keeps popping into my head (probably wrong about that but it's everywhere). I don't think it is a big leap to say the publishing world is turning more digital with all the online literary journals and publishing outlets (like Anderbo or Guernica, etc.), eBooks and what have you. Down the line I see myself putting out some of my own work and just really want to be around the business and learn about it, see if I can make a living writing but I don't have the volume of work to make bread from it. So I wanted to ask people around the publishing scene if there is actually an interest for people like me in the industry, whats out there, and how can I find my way to it? I haven't got a clue and just really need some thing I can work towards, where can I start?

EDIT: I do suppose that is a little vague, sorry my brain is a bit out of sorts lately and I'm trying to fix that.

Are there technical jobs in-house at small/indie publishing houses? (the indie/start-ups in the programming world, like this and this, basically live on the web and update/redesign their content pretty much every other week... and its probably a poor assumption to think everywhere would do that sort of thing, but with online publications it seemed a possibility... maybe a prayer?)
Would they be interested in programming on a resume... or did I pigeon-hole myself to a cubicle?
Where can I find what publishing houses are out there and hiring / located?
What roles exactly are performed at a publishing (small or large) house in creating a book / literary journal? What job could I look to get at one? (I don't believe I have the qualifications to be a fulltime editor but, like I said, going off of the programming world all the responsibilities are picked at and shared by pretty much everyone in a small startup and I would like to help put together a full product rather than filling a single role repetitively)

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sherry594

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best