bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Techniques for creating variety in prose When I write my short stories, I usually end up using a direct style as follows: Tim remembered the day he had to say goodbye to Cathy. He did - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Many great books repeat common phrases. For example, this is Sherlock Holmes: www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/1661/pg1661.txt You will see many instances of "said I," "said he," "said Holmes."
Here's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/11/pg11.txt "said Alice," "said Alice to herself," "said poor Alice."
This type of repetition is not noticed by the reader if your dialog drives.

Some notes:

~ Tim remembered the day he had to say goodbye to Cathy. He did not really have a choice. He had to let go of Cathy, for she had no future with him. -- "remove" equivocates. Could be removed. The phrase "He had to let go of Cathy" is redundant with the first sentence.

~ "I'll never forget you," that was the last thing Cathy had said as he had pushed her away. -- "that was the last thing Cathy had said as he had pushed her away" could be replaced with "said Cathy, as he pushed her away."

~ The words had continued to haunt Tim all these years. -- "had" is unnecessary. In fact, " had continued to haunt" could be replaced with "haunted."

~ Tim picked up his backpack. It was time to move on again. He had just caught a glimpse of Cathy. -- "It was time to move on again." could be tightened to "Time to move on again." Again the "had" is weighing you down. He just glimpsed Cathy.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @XinRu607

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best