bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How much can I talk about other people's works? Let's say I'm writing a novel set in the future, clearly on Earth, with all the history that has happened through today. Obviously in the real - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I recently read Amazon.com: Lacuna: Demons of the Void eBook: David Adams: Kindle Store : www.amazon.com/Lacuna-Demons-Void-ebook/dp/B006RZNR3Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
In the story there is a very 'energetic' physicist that constantly is referencing "It's like right out of Star Trek" in some way or another. It was fitting as this is set just a few decades in Earths future so her being a fan makes perfect sense. It still jarred me from the story though and seems like an easy way out to explain something.

Another story I read described an important found tech artifact as "It looked like a lightsaber without the controls." This again was fitting as set in mostly modern day earth but still it jarred me from the story for some reason.

It could be a personal thing, but I'm not a fan of it. I'm dealing with it myself in my own project. It's hard to write a post-apocalyptic story and not have a character reference The Walking Dead or one of the other popular franchises rebuilding.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @BetL639

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best