bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do you convince your publisher that your story is good? Any suggestions on how to convince your publisher that your story is good, and that it would be a good idea to publish it? - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

If the publisher does not want to publish your story, then at least one of these is true:

The goodness isn't in the text.
The text is good, and the publisher doesn't recognize it.
The publisher's idea of "good" differs from yours in ways that matter.
The publisher has reasons that outweigh the goodness of your story (e.g. more than enough stories that better fit their needs).

I'd focus on #1 . To convince the publisher, you'd have to say something that isn't in the text. If there's something relevant to say that isn't in the text, that is a sign that the text does not yet sufficiently convey the goodness.

My advice for #1 : Improve the story.

As for #2 , proceeding under the assumption that the publisher doesn't recognize the goodness of your story is fraught with peril. If the assumption is true, that means they don't know what they're doing. If they do know what they're doing, then your attempt to persuade will be at best a waste of time, and at worst insulting.

My advice for #2: Whenever you catch yourself imagining that a publisher just can't see the goodness in your story, try to find another interpretation. If you can't find another interpretation, reconsider whether you really want to publish with a publisher who doesn't know what they are doing. And make note of how often you insist on this interpretation.

As for #3 and #4, those are all signs that this is not the right publisher for this story at this time. If a story comes close to meeting a publisher's needs, they'll usually tell you that, and clearly. Otherwise the story probably is not within range of persuasion.

My advice for #3 and #4: Seek publishers whose current skills, preferences, and business model match your story more closely.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kevin153

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best