bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Scrivener: marking multiple (non-adjacent) phrases in a manuscript with same footnote How can I mark multiple different non-adjacent words and/or phrases with the same endnote marker and the same - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

How can I mark multiple different non-adjacent words and/or phrases with the same endnote marker and the same endnote text in Scrivener?

For example:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam
nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat
volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation
ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse
molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at
vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent
luptatum zzril delenit augue duis dolore te feugait nulla facilisi.
Nam liber tempor cum soluta nobis eleifend option congue nihil
imperdiet doming id quod mazim placerat facer possim assum. Typi non
habent claritatem insitam; est usus legentis in iis qui facit eorum
claritatem. Investigationes demonstraverunt lectores legere me
lius quod ii legunt saepius. Claritas est etiam processus dynamicus,
qui sequitur mutationem consuetudium lectorum. Mirum est notare quam
littera gothica, quam nunc putamus parum claram, anteposuerit
litterarum formas humanitatis per seacula quarta decima et quinta
decima. Eodem modo typi, qui nunc nobis videntur parum clari, fiant
sollemnes in futurum.

I want to mark both bold phrases in the text above using the endnote marker, "1" (as a superscript following each bold phrase) and create only a single endnote number 1 at the end of the (short; maybe 3-4 page) manuscript.

When I try to do this in Scrivener and print to PDF, Scrivener assigns different endnote numbers to each bold phrase even though the endnote text is identical, and just creates two identical endnotes at the bottom of the page, numbered 1 and 2.

If the PDF format won't handle something like that, then RTF is ok with me too, but my trouble is telling Scrivener that this is what I want to do.

Although this manuscript is short (2-4 pages) and I could probably do this in a word processor, I really like Scrivener's many little touches that make the documents it produces unique. This document is for a job application and I'm trying to impress in as many subtle ways as possible.

I should also add something I wrote in a comment below which is that endnote symbols (dagger, double-dagger, et. al.) would suffice too, but my main problem is how to get Scrivener to render the footnote/endnote horizontal rule other than by marking text with a footnote/endnote?

When I print-to-PDF a document containing footnotes or endnotes in Scrivener, the PDF produces this very nice horizontal rule across about 1/3 of the bottom of the page to separate the footnotes from the main text.

My question is, can I manually insert such a horizontal rule? RTF seems to allow for that, but I can't get any of the solutions mentioned here to render the line when I do print-to-PDF. I have the same problem when I use OS X TextEdit.App (which I had previously thought was a full-featured RTF editor that implemented the entire RTF specification).

Plus, I don't really know how to insert raw RTF into the Scrivener editor. My attempts above may have failed because I worked around this limitation in my knowledge by closing the Scrivener project and then using vim to edit the rtf files manually, inserting the RTF code to produce a horizontal rule. Maybe this risks corrupting the Scrivener project, not sure, but I know of no other way to insert raw RTF code into the editor.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Debbie451

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Personally, I would reconsider marking it with the same footnote marker, and rather mark them as 1 and 2, with the 2nd one consisting of the word "Ibid." Ibid means "the same place", and is "used to provide an endnote or footnote citation or reference for a source that was cited in the preceding endnote or footnote".

If you reference the same source more than once, but they're not together, the first footnote should be formatted formally with the full citation, but the second and subsequent footnotes can be abbreviated to a short form. Check your style guide, but for the most part, using Surname, Title, Page should suffice.

Edit: Based on your comments, one possible solution to avoid having to manually keep track of Ibids and Op Cits is for you to handle your citations using Zotero (free and open source, I believe). Although I don't personally use it, there is this blog post which describes how you can integrate Zotero and Scrivener. As the last paragraph states:

One alternative method is to create footnotes in Scrivener using the format {Author, Year, Page#}. Then export as an RTF document as before. Then, in Zotero, use the ‘RTF Scan’ tool in the Preferences menu. Zotero will see all of the citations and replace them nicely with formatted citations (using Ibid. and short notation for repeat books, and such). Zotero will not be aware of these citations at all, so if you need them to be Zotero aware, you might as well use the steps outlined above. If you do not expect to update citations or the text once done in Scrivener, then this may be the easiest way to go.

Load Full (0)