bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Scrivener: marking multiple (non-adjacent) phrases in a manuscript with same footnote How can I mark multiple different non-adjacent words and/or phrases with the same endnote marker and the same - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Personally, I would reconsider marking it with the same footnote marker, and rather mark them as 1 and 2, with the 2nd one consisting of the word "Ibid." Ibid means "the same place", and is "used to provide an endnote or footnote citation or reference for a source that was cited in the preceding endnote or footnote".

If you reference the same source more than once, but they're not together, the first footnote should be formatted formally with the full citation, but the second and subsequent footnotes can be abbreviated to a short form. Check your style guide, but for the most part, using Surname, Title, Page should suffice.

Edit: Based on your comments, one possible solution to avoid having to manually keep track of Ibids and Op Cits is for you to handle your citations using Zotero (free and open source, I believe). Although I don't personally use it, there is this blog post which describes how you can integrate Zotero and Scrivener. As the last paragraph states:

One alternative method is to create footnotes in Scrivener using the format {Author, Year, Page#}. Then export as an RTF document as before. Then, in Zotero, use the ‘RTF Scan’ tool in the Preferences menu. Zotero will see all of the citations and replace them nicely with formatted citations (using Ibid. and short notation for repeat books, and such). Zotero will not be aware of these citations at all, so if you need them to be Zotero aware, you might as well use the steps outlined above. If you do not expect to update citations or the text once done in Scrivener, then this may be the easiest way to go.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Rambettina586

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best