bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is it permissible to write a short story with little or no dialogue? We are writing a short story based on the antagonist in our novel, a sort of extended back story if you will. We are - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Is it permissible to write ...

Well, what do you think will happen? Is there a state law against it? Will you have to pay a fee if you do it? Be imprisoned? Get shot?

Do you think the readers, publishers, agents will put you on a black list and never ever read a line written by you? How many lists have you made in the past, where you put the authors whose stories you disliked?

You make a beginner's mistake. You think there are rules and when you break them someone punish you somehow. And to avoid that you panic and think "I have to rewrite!".

I do not want to know how many good stories have been sacrificed on the altar of rewriting. I tell you a little secret: If you can't write (which I do not want to claim), then no amount of rewriting will rescue you. Because rewriting is a skill of its own. If you cannot handle the skill "writing", it's unlikely you've mastered the skill "rewriting".

To sum up my little rant: Write! Face your demons and publish. Do not get paralyzed by the fear on inexistent rules. It's your story. If you think it does not need a dialogue, it does not need a dialogue.

By the way, if you want to thank us, link to our site.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Frith254

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best