logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Pricing your Kindle ebooks at Amazon Basically, I would like to know what's the optimal price for ebooks published at Amazon (via Kindle Direct Publishing.) By "optimal" I mean the price that

Goswami879 @Goswami879

Posted in: #Kindle #Marketing

Basically, I would like to know what's the optimal price for ebooks published at Amazon (via Kindle Direct Publishing.) By "optimal" I mean the price that is more likely to generate sales.

I'll try to be as specific as I can:

Novel

60,000~70,000 words
Literary Fiction
Self-made cover

Novella

20,000~25,000 words
Literary Fiction
Self-made cover

Short Story

9,000~10,000 words
Literary Fiction
Self-made cover

How much should a new author charge for the cases described above?

(I published a 7K word short story before, and left it as [CO].99. But I heard somewhere you should never sell yourself too low?)

10.04% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (4) Report

4 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Shakeerah107

Shakeerah107 @Shakeerah107

Your short story [CO].99 - the minimum Amazon will allow. Make sure purchasers know it is a 'short story' or you'll end up with unhappy readers and bad reviews.

Your Novella - .99 - That gets you a 70% royalty less a delivery charge. You'll probably get around .05 royalty per ebook.

Your novel - .99 - At that price you have room to make special 'short term' offers of .99.

Note the magic '9'. This won't fool people. They will be aware that .99, .99 and [CO].99 are the same as , and but research has shown that that last '9' makes people more likely to buy. For that reason books priced .19 sell better than books priced .10.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Nimeshi163

Nimeshi163 @Nimeshi163

I was testing out different theories regarding the right price, and I used different strategies for several pen names that I have. There were some variations from time to time, but this is what I found works best katherinemilkovich.wordpress.com/2016/08/13/setting-the-price/ I was never into selling my novels for [CO].99, because I think it's important to value your own work. And it works for me, I make a lot more money than before.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Bryan361

Bryan361 @Bryan361

I don't see many people paying even [CO].99 for a single short story. There are many very good novels for or less. More than people have time to read. OTOH, a collection of good short stories can be better than a novel.
But maybe I'm cheap. I don't understand why anyone would pay for a single song off an album. Yet lots of people do.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Murray831

Murray831 @Murray831

Dean Wesley Smith famously advises against pricing anything at [CO].99. That's the discount bin. It tells buyers that it's a cheap read, not that it's a good read.

Why not price your book as if you expected readers to want it?

Here is a bunch of advice from Dean about indie pricing: www.deanwesleysmith.com/?tag=pricing

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme