logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Are collection of short stories more likely to sell than single short stories? I'm about to finish a short story (9000 words). But since I already have another two (7000 words and 6000 words),

Candy753 @Candy753

Posted in: #Kindle #Publishing

I'm about to finish a short story (9000 words). But since I already have another two (7000 words and 6000 words), I was wondering whether I should publish the work as a mini collection of short stories. I thought about this because I've never seen a famous author publish a standalone short story.

I'm a new author and I'm planning to publish the ebook at Amazon via Kindle Direct Publishing.

What would be my best choice?

10.05% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (5) Report

5 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Lee1909368

Lee1909368 @Lee1909368

Imagine that you have three potential readers, Alice, Bob, and Carol, and three stories, X, Y, and Z. Alice would pay for X, for Y, and for Z. Bob would pay for Y, for Z, and for X. Carol would pay for Z, for X, and for Y.

If you offer X+Y+Z as an anthology for , you will get three readers for each story and in gross sales. If you offer them separately for each, you will get two readers for each story and in gross sales.

This is why newspapers bundle up news, sports, and arts into one edition instead of selling them separately, and why cable-TV providers don’t let you subscribe to channels on an individual basis.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Gretchen741

Gretchen741 @Gretchen741

Note that short stories are much more difficult to sell than full-length novels. My company's just published a collection of stories in a popular genre by some pretty well-known authors, for a decently low price, distributed through mainstream channels and it's sold under 500 copies in six months. If you're after sales, write full-length fiction. If you're fairly prolific, perhaps consider giving away a short story for [CO] as a sweetener for some more meaty offerings.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Annie587

Annie587 @Annie587

For Kindle versions, I'd agree with the other posters that doing both is the easy way out. Maybe a little more trouble, but not all that much. If you find that one or the other has only a tiny number of sales, then maybe next time you don't bother. And hey, maybe you could let us know here.

For a printed book, I think you'd want to publish the collection. People rarely buy a printed book that has just one short story because it would presumably be about 20 pages long and look awfully thin.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Berumen699

Berumen699 @Berumen699

From everything I've read on the subject, the collection will sell better. The stories will necessarily be cheaper, and can easily get lost in the "bargain bin." But Dale Emery has a great point -- there's no reason to choose. Make sure you link them all to each other, so people can see how buying the collection is a great deal.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Kevin153

Kevin153 @Kevin153

There's no need to choose. Do both. Put the individual stories up as singles, and put the collection up also. Just make sure people know what's in the collection.

Steven King has published some standalone short stories. "Ur." "Riding the Bullet." Probably some others I can't think of at the moment.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme