bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How should I organize my journal as plain-text files? I want to keep a digital journal on my computer. I keep a physical journal in notebooks and on pieces of sheets, but I now want to back - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I've used quite a few note-taking tools over the years, and eventually stuck with Zim Wiki for a few reasons:

The underlying format is a set of plain text files automatically organized into folders when you create pages and sub-pages.
The plain text files can be rendered with just the right amount of formatting (headings, bold, italics, code blocks, checklists, bullet lists).
The available plugins are awesome and can be used to embed LaTeX equations, plots from the R programming language, and more.
It's cross-platform, so I can store my notebook files in Dropbox and access the same files whether on my Windows workstation in the office (bleah) or my awesome Ubuntu laptop at home (whoo!).
Autosave is awesome, and even more awesome when combined with a cloud syncing service like Dropbox.
Multiple notebook support--very nice when working on multiple projects.
If your notes for a particular day are long, you can use headings within the note, and a "table of contents" pane can be displayed in your window to easily navigate your entry.
At the end of the day you can export entire notebooks as markdown files, which means Zim + Pandoc = Love.

For your specific purpose, Zim Wiki also has an (inbuilt) "journal" plugin. You can see some of the settings here, one of which is to generate a new file for each day, week, month, or year. Based on your choice, Zim Wiki will store your files in different ways. For example, if you were going with a daily journal, it would create, say, a folder named "2013", under which it would create another folder "08" for "August", and a plain text file named "13.txt" for the thirteenth.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Cooney417

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best