bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Synonym recommendations for "chuckle?" Apparently I want to use this word a fair amount ("she chuckled," etc.), or, more specifically, a word that means "a short and [soft or gentle] laugh." - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

Apparently I want to use this word a fair amount ("she chuckled," etc.), or, more specifically, a word that means "a short and [soft or gentle] laugh."

When I comb online and other digital thesauri, they all seem to return the same limited list: chortle, giggle, laugh softly, snicker, snigger, tee-hee, titter.

In my opinion, only about half of those fit my description, which is pretty much the dictionary definition. I mean, "snicker," really?

Any recommendations? Thanks.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Lee1909368

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

My recommendations would be to vary your characters' laughters.

English has quite amazing number of words for different types of laughing and it allows to convey a wide gallery of expressions. So instead of having your characters always chuckle and finding synonyms for that, have your character guffaw, snort, laugh throatily, and utilize the whole wide range of expressions that is at your disposal instead of boxing them in with a few names for exactly one expression.

Load Full (0)