bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do I write for webcomics? I want to start a webcomic. For this, I expect I'll be doing a lot of writing. I once had someone draw a webcomic based on my writing and it was a nonsensical - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Joe Sacco, an excellent comic artist (printed, not web), does sometimes do “illustrated narrative” comics, where there’s quite a bit of writing in narrative form, not dialogue, but the illustration still dominates (so it’s still a comic, not an illustrated novel).
You have to get to the fourth page of Gunnerkrigg Court before you see any dialogue. Before then, it’s all first-person narration.
Khaos Komix has quite a lot of first-person narration, nicely mixed with dialogue. Tab’s latest venture, Shades of A, has a similar structure, but it’s laid out visually differently, as printed text between panels (page 6 is a particularly nice example). I’ve not seen that style used elsewhere.
Girl Genius opens with a storyteller character, who narrates the next page, but after that we never hear from him again. (Actually, he does turn up as a character in the story, many months later, but there isn’t any more narration.)

So, there is more than one way to write a comic. A comic with no dialogue would certainly be unusual, and I can’t think of an example, but it would be one way to go about it.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Annie587

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best