bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : What is the difference between an ISBN and an ISBN Barcode? Is the ISBN the same as the ISBN Barcode or are these 2 different things? I want to publish my own books, so need some clarification. - selfpublishingguru.com

10.04% popularity

Is the ISBN the same as the ISBN Barcode or are these 2 different things? I want to publish my own books, so need some clarification. Which one will help me save on my publishing cost?

Load Full (4)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Megan928

4 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

The International Standard Book Number (ISBN) is a numeric commercial book identifier which is intended to be unique.

ISBN number is assigned to a book for each variation and edition except re printings.

ISBN barcode (13 digits) = Unique country code(3 digits) + ISBN number(10 digits)

Last digit is Check digit that is a form of redundancy check used for error detection. In general ISBN barcode gives different check digit from the corresponding 10 digits ISBN number as shown in attached picture.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

ISBN or International Standard Book Number is a unique number assigned to a book. It is issued by a central ISBN agency in your country. In USA, you can obtain your ISBN numbers from the Bowker Agency.

So the basic difference between 2 is just of the form. As ISBN is just a Number and ISBN Barcode is a Barcode.

ISBN Barcode is a unique commercial book identifier barcode. It is encoded in an EAN-13 format barcode with a Price Supplemental barcode.

ISBN Code
Human Readable Text (optional)
Pricing Supplemental Code

This 2-part barcode is required by traditional book sellers such as Barnes & Nobles, Books-a-Million, and others.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Older ISBN numbers are ten digits long and divided into four fields, the country/language code, the publisher code, the book code, and the check digit. they were printed in ocr-a (a font designed for machine reading). Newer isbn numbers are actually ean numbers with ean checksums and use ean barcodes, with isbn numbers having 2 ean country codes (978 being used as the prefix for legacy isbn numbers, with the checksum recalculated).

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

(picture can be found here: dLSoft)

978-3-16-148410-0 is the ISBN (number).

The vertical strokes below that number are the barcode (which represents the number above).

Load Full (0)