bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do I find mistakes in grammar and style in my own writings? I am no expert in the English language. Things I need to improve are clarity, style and correct use of grammar. Any tips would - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

There are a few things you can do.

Read your work out loud. This will give you a sense of whether your sentence structure works, whether any words are out of place or whether you have redundancy that needs to be fixed. Most of the time you'll catch egregious stuff by just reading things out loud and making sure it sounds right. If you're writing slowly, do this after each paragraph. Make sure you also do it for the whole document when you are finished.
Set your work aside for at least a day, then read it to yourself. Be critical; fix anything new you find.
Get someone else to read your work, preferably a native speaker. If you don't have someone in real life to do this, try to find someone online who is willing to give you feedback on it. Be open to constructive feedback and make changes.

This will help your grammar, but you also seem to be looking for some advice on composition, so here's what I can give you:

Mind your audience. Know what you are writing for, know the conventions of your target audience and make sure you follow them. If you're writing a paper for a conference or class, be sure to understand the standards you need to meet.
Start with something smaller, or break your work up into small chunks. If you have time, write several smaller pieces before you take on a big work. If you're writing a novel, try a short story first. If you're writing a research paper, try a summary first.
Work off of an outline. One of the biggest mistakes you can make is to ramble. As a beginner try to outline each paragraph you're going to write before you write it. In this way your paper will to some degree write itself.

If you do these things, you'll be just fine.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Pierce369

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best