bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: What can I use instead of "but" and "however"? I just noticed I tend to use "but" and 'however" in almost every paragraph. Examples (all of them are from the same story): I almost let - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

You asked

What can I use instead of “but” and “however”?

Without further ado, here are the possibilities.

OTOH, on the contrary, otherwise, yet, even though, though ... still, rather, unexpectedly, despite, in spite of, ...

He is a good hire. I love his honesty, but his honesty could lead us into trouble.
We should hire him. I love his honesty. On the other hand, his honesty could lead us into trouble.

The new medicine is giving people a lot of hope, but it is dangerous hope as it is not well tested yet.
I do not agree with the new medicine that is giving people a lot of hope. On the contrary, I feel it is dangerous as it is not well tested yet.

The govt is not interested in people becoming rich, but they would want you to pay your taxes.
The govt is not interested in people becoming rich. Rather, they would want you to pay your taxes.

The sky was clear and the weather was mild, but then it there was a thunderstorm and it started to rain.
The sky was clear and the weather was mild. Unexpectedly, there was a thunderstorm and it started to rain.

She was born with debilitating condition, but she was successful in becoming a doctor.
Even though she was born with debilitating condition, she was successful in becoming a doctor.
Though she was born with debilitating condition, she was successful in becoming a doctor still.
She was born with debilitating condition, yet she was successful in becoming a doctor.
She persevered towards her success in becoming a doctor, otherwise she would have wallowed in her congenital debilitating condition.
She persevered towards her success in becoming a doctor, despite her congenital debilitating condition.
In spite of her being born with a debilitating condition, she was successful in becoming a doctor.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Angie602

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best