bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Breaking into journalism without a degree I am a fairly experienced writer, but I have little experience in journalistic writing and no formal education in journalism. I believe I can pick - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I am a fairly experienced writer, but I have little experience in journalistic writing and no formal education in journalism. I believe I can pick up the craft aspects of this form of writing. However, I don't really know where to begin in terms of career path.

So, I would like to know what options are available to a skilled beginner without a diploma whose goal is to become a professional magazine or newspaper journalist. Should I write freelance articles and submit them where I can? Should I apply for some sort of junior/intern/coffee-delivery position at publishers? I understand that any path will probably take years, and I am alright with that. I am just looking for general advice on where to get work when first starting out.

I am also curious if the lack of degree will hurt me significantly. Would four years back at school benefit me more than four years trying to break into the field without that degree?

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Tiffany377

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I heard once from a relative who knows a lot of professional journalists (and is a published nonfiction writer) that a journalism degree is actually a waste of time, because field experience matters more than an academic degree in the field. I'd say, four years in the field is a much better use of your time. I'd say start out trying to intern at a small paper, do your best, get some good experience and published clips, and go from there. (Just as a caveat, though, I'm speaking based on my impressions alone...I'm not a journalist!)

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

The degree is less important than your clips and prior work experience. However, journalism is very hierarchical. Bigger papers have a higher status, higher pay, better jobs, etc, and they only hire reporters with good clips, and experience at larger papers. So you're going to have to start at a smaller paper, and work your way to bigger papers. I know a guy who went from a tiny crap paper to one of the best papers in the country in about 6 years (of course, then he burned out, and is now working back at a smaller paper again).

Stringing is a good way to start, but it's often deadly boring. If you're thinking more about magazine journalism, thats a bit different. Many magazines work on a contract basis, but that can make it even harder to break in, as they produce less content, and what they do produce they farm out to specific people.

Load Full (0)