bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to display URLs in a textbook? I am writing a textbook which contains some lists of recommended Web sites. Unlike the question How should be the format for literature references that are - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

There has been a trend in print to supply minimised URLs such as ow.ly or tinyurl.com as this makes typing the link easier on the reader.

However as style goes it is vital to find a way to be consistent yet remain within the technical understanding of the reader.

Many news outlets create online portions that act as a gateway so that the links are all branded for example "... you can find links to at oursite.etc/LinksToTopic ..."

What matters most here is clarity and consistency. Most professional manuals of style appear professional because they impose consistency and this creates familiarity. As URLs in print are still relatively new and most publishing groups (even the BBC) are still struggling to understand how to link to a source the standard is still something that has yet to be established. This allows the likes of you and I to decide what works best.

I'd make the most of that freedom if I were you.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sue2132873

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best