bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Published on blog but taken down: Still remains previously-published? A whole lot of publishing houses look at works posted on blogs as "previously published". Now, let us say I put something - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Would it count as "previously published" if it appeared in your (print) newspaper, but it was three years ago and nobody is likely to still have old copies lying around? This seems like an analogous case.

Your blog post, if it was at any time public, probably is still out there, in the Wayback Machine if nothing else. (And the newspaper might well be in an archive at the local library.) Once published you lose control over propagation.

I am neither a lawyer nor a publisher, but I've seen friends who submit stories for publication (successfully) be extremely careful about not posting them publicly first, even temporarily, even on Internet-based critique sites that aren't locked somehow. It seems to me from all this that "previously published" means "was previously published", not "is still findable from a previous publication". Of course, you should seek clarification of what any particular publisher means by that contractual language.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Goswami879

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best