bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is there any structure to write a book? I want to write a book but I don't know where to start. I'd like to know if is it there any structure for a book to be written, or if somebody - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

There are LOTS of ways to structure a book. Depending on what you're writing, there may or may not be any expected frameworks.

Long-Form Fiction, such as speculative fiction novels, movie scripts, and semi-fanciful "alternate histories" usually progress lineally along one or more character's perspectives along a three-act progression, though more acts are non uncommon and strict adherence is not necessary. Some genre fiction have more expected structures.
Non-fiction Reference Material, such as a wikipedia page or the manual for a piece of software, tends to begin with an overall review of the topic, follow with specific details or instructions arranged in some discernible order (complexity, alphabetically, or historical progression), and end with any needed reference materials.
Non-fiction polemics and short-form fiction both are highly variable in their form and structure. Aside from the mechanical need to quickly attract a reader's interest, their choice of structure is entirely part of an author's craft and can be as important as word choice or phrasing.

As for how to actually write any of the above: start with an idea, add in various notes, and then sit down and write a first draft from beginning to end. Skip ahead if appropriate. Once your draft is done, read it once and then begin your editing process. Be aware you may need to throw it all away and start again with a new first draft, on possibly an entirely separate project.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @LarsenBagley300

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best