bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Should programmers/DBAs be co-authored on papers for their contributions? I'm taking a CITI course and one of the sections dealt with authoring on manuscripts. The gist is that you don't add - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

I'm taking a CITI course and one of the sections dealt with authoring on manuscripts. The gist is that you don't add authors when no work has been done (such as adding a notable person for their reputation, where that person didn't actually contribute anything).

Where there is gray area is when it comes to acknowledgement vs. co-authoring as pertains to application developers & DBAs. In cases where the developer is on regular meetings, is self-guided on the project, contributes ideas for workflow & organization of project, and writes a paragraph of text for the manuscript, is this person a legitimate co-author?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Jamie945

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I'm a scientist who also does programming. The way I've always done it with my colleagues is this: If the success of your project depends upon my computer code, then I'm a co-author on your FIRST journal paper. After that, if you're just re-using the same code, then I just get an acknowledgement. But if I have to do significant re-coding (not just bug fixes), then that's another co-authorship.

If they don't like that deal, they can write their own code.

Now I'm going to backtrack: If a code starts to find wide use, then I wouldn't expect everyone using it to make me a co-author. There's no need to be greedy. (But I ALWAYS put my name in the Help, and I wouldn't share code without stipulating that my name stay there.)

Load Full (0)