bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Is this title suitable for a chapter section? Suppose I am writing a chapter about some deep technical subject (say, for instance, "boolean variables"). This theme is riddled with idiosyncrasies - selfpublishingguru.com

10.04% popularity

Suppose I am writing a chapter about some deep technical subject (say, for instance, "boolean variables"). This theme is riddled with idiosyncrasies and misunderstandings, so I would like to present the most confusing topics and to straighten them out. My question is: is the following section title suitable for a technical book?

"The Ins and Outs of Boolean Variables"

I am sure I have come across this expression many times, but as a nonnative speaker I really don't have a feel for how formal or adequate it sounds. Also, if this title is not adequate, what alternatives could be used in this case?

Edit:

The actual topic in this chapter is not really boolean variables; this was intended as an example. But the suggestions here are so good that I'm tempted to use them if the text touches upon that particular subject in the future.

Thanks,

Load Full (4)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Jessie137

4 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Im tempted with

The true and false of Boolean Variables...
There is nothing !true about this.
When you can't tell your true from your not-so-false
The universal !false!

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Depends on how formal or informal the technical writing is and whether the target audience is beginner's or advanced.

A more specific and accurate chapter would be ideal. "Ins and Outs" is too vague.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

An informal, jokey title is perfectly appropriate. This is especially true if, as I surmise, you're writing a progrmming manual of some sort. Computer science is a pretty informal field, after all. It's almost expected.

The title isn't very eye-catching, but it's a common enough turn of phrase and there's nothing wrong with it, as such.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

It's not that it's unsuitable, but the word play of "Ins and Outs" isn't very well matched with the subject of "Boolean Variables." "Ins and Outs" sounds like it's more about GPIO pins.

I'd be tempted to do something like;

"If This_Chapter == About_Boolean_Variables {Read}"

;)

Load Full (0)