bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Using Genres and Tags in a writing website I am helping a friend of mine create a story website. He says he wants Genre as well as Tags for his site. Implementing Genres is easy enough.- - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

I am helping a friend of mine create a story website. He says he wants Genre as well as Tags for his site. Implementing Genres is easy enough.- I can have a list like:

- Romance
- Horror
- Humor
- Tragedy

The author can select couple of these while writing his story. The reader can also search/filter using these genres. We can tag-cloud, show number of items in each etc.

The problem with tagging that I have, is that it can become too convoluted. Stories can be tagged for just about anything. And tags can start becoming duplicated due to spelling mistakes, slightly different words used etc. This can end up with the site getting cluttered with tags and it can really be no value add at all.

So should tagging be there? As a reader/writer how would you expect a tagging functionality to work for a writing site?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Welton431

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

The website maker should disallow additional tags created by the user.
For example, if someone writes fiktion, the website should suggest the tag fiction as it does in StackExchange.

I know this is feasible, but the coding is a bit hard (I have experience in website-making).

Or when the reader types in (the inputbox) the letter f the input should suggest fiction, fantasy... like autocomplete.
For example, in this website codepen.io/curthusting/pen/FLhpE there is a code and a demonstration of this. Show your friend this code, I think he'll understand. Try to type ap it will already suggest you apple.

Or the website maker should make an OPTION list and make the user choose a genre.

Hope this helps!

Load Full (0)