bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How should I introduce my characters? I'm pretty good at creating compelling characters with decent personalities and motivations. I like the comradery vibe, so they're generally already part of - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

This hasn't explicitly been mentioned but one good way to introduce characters is for existing characters to act and react in ways that show they already know the new character.

An example. Early in one of my works, I had a military commander (and a minor character) show extreme prejudice against one of my main characters in front of the other. But both of my mains clearly knew him, knew he was like this and knew calling him on it would achieve nothing. So they didn't. That was maybe an extreme example, but it works well with all sorts of mannerisms, such as liking to sleep late, or preferring milk over whiskey.

When an existing character clearly knows more than the reader about a new character, it shows the world has been running before the story started. Readers usually like that.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @RJPawlick285

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best