bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How do you know if you have too many words for the amount of pages you have written? I'm writing my first serious novel and I have 155 pages with 60,000 words. I'm wondering whether this - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I'm writing my first serious novel and I have 155 pages with 60,000 words. I'm wondering whether this is normal. I still want to write at least another 100 pages or more, but I don't want to write too much or publishers won't even look at it. My novel is fiction and more of a teen read than an adult. So, do I have too much for the amount of pages I have written? If so, what is the average I should be at?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Angela458

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Don't worry about the number of pages, that is dependent on the way the eventual book is typeset.

The question you want to ask, as the writer, is "do I have too many words (or too few) for the amount of story I have written." It's perfectly possible to use too many words to tell too little story, or too few words to tell too much, but the number of pages is the typesetter's problem.

When you eventually want to submit the manuscript to a publisher/agent they will let you know via their submission guidelines how they want the text formatted – for example: double-spaced, 12 point, Times New Roman, with inch-wide margins – and this will determine the ratio of words to pages.

Load Full (0)