bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Typical Fairy-tale Story Especially Princess Stories I have a question. I am planing to write to a fairy-tale like a Brother Grimm or Hans Christian Anderson type of fairy-tale set in the modern - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

If you want to learn about plotting fairy-tale stories I recommend you to read "Morphology of the Folktale" by Vladimir Propp. It is a study that dissect the different elements of the folk tales from examples and present a common structure composed by 31 "functions". It is easy to structure your tale after that schema.
You can have a bit of it by reading Wikipedia article on Propp (Propp). However, if you are interested in the field like I am I recommend you to get your hands in the book.
I recommend also to have a look at John Campbell's take on the monomyth (Monomyth) if you plan to write a heroe/heroine based tale. This one is more focused on the inner development of the hero than Propp's work.

I agree with another answer in that you don't seem to want the real traditional folk tales (i.e. gory original Grimm Bros. stories) but the decaf post-victorian Disney like version of them but that is compatible with the works I referenced.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Murphy332

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best