bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Copyright issue when referring to a textbook I'm currently writing a little book which explains all equations that first year students will use. There is a law that requires many assumptions - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Are you copying material from this textbook into your book? Or do you mean that you are just writing, "See page 42 of Such-and-such book"?

Usual disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. But as I understand U.S. copyright law, if you are not copying the actual words from another book, you are in no danger of violating copyright. You can certainly refer people to another book. You can rewrite the material from another book in your own words -- just make sure "your own words" are sufficiently different from the other writer's words, you can't just change two words in ten pages of text.

There is also the "fair use doctrine" that says you can quote small sections of someone else's work. The rules here are not hard and fast, but if you quote three paragraphs from a 200 page book, you are not likely to get into trouble. If you quote 100 pages word for word from a 200 page book, you are asking for trouble.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sent2472441

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best