bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Good idea to write a scene with just pure dialogue exchange? I'm sure you don't remember me. Asked quiet a few questions a year ago. Never came back for round 2. Was working on your advices. - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

There's no reason you can't do this, as long as it's the reader understands the information you're giving them. The clearer way to do something is nearly always preferred.

Writers have formatted scenes as screenplays within a novel, but it's a rare, experimental device. It also evokes a cinematic feel, which may not be what you want.

Long passages of dialog without any descriptive text will tend to run into one problem: It becomes hard to follow who's saying what. You can only incorporate so many instances of characters naming other characters in their speech before it becomes artificial. It's hard to replace "she said" with "So, Sue, let me tell you a thing..." more than once.

I'd suggest you minimize descriptive text and dialog tags, but not remove them entirely. That'll keep the scene very stark and dialog-focused but make it easy to follow.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Dunderdale623

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best