bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Can I be a good writer without reading a lot? This may seem like blasphemy to a lot of you, but can I become a good writer without doing incredible amounts of reading? I never read for - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Short answer: Possibly, are you a genius with lots of time?

Long answer: I guess you could ask the same question about any field. Can I be a good painter without looking at other paintings? Can I be a good carpenter without looking at other cabinets? Can I be a good architect without looking at other buildings. (Fyi: I refuse to enter the building of an architect who has never seen a building before because he's probably some sort of sentient alien lightform or something.) Could I be a good zookeeper without watching other people zookeep?

Yes, I suppose you could be, but you'd basically be reinventing the wheel. Literally, if you're an engineer making a car without actually looking at a car. Unless you're a natural genius, (which you could be and if you are congrats!) I think it would take take you significantly more time to get good by yourself (as judged based by a book-reading world) then it would to just read a little more.

That said, if you want to speed up your progress and focus your reading time, I would suggest reading some books on how to write well. On Writing by Stephen King is popular on over-all creative writing. For nonfiction, I enjoyed On Writing Well by William Zinsser. The Elements of Style by Strunk and White is good for the basic building blocks. For mortaring the building blocks together, I took a class that used Style: Lessons in Clarity and Grace by Joseph M. Williams and Joseph Bizup to great effect.

...wow, man, that sounds like a lot reading, huh? =) Guess you're not going to escape that whole reading thing entirely. But good news! I think you'll find that the more you read, the faster you'll get and more you'll read in one go.

Good luck!

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Welton431

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best