bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Stories based on news: are they allowed? I just read a story on the news that made me go: Oh my, this would make a great short story. I've never written a story based on a news article - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

I just read a story on the news that made me go: Oh my, this would make a great short story. I've never written a story based on a news article before. So I'm wondering, will someone sue me? Am I infringing some copyright law?

I'm not planning to write an exact copy, though anyone who reads the story would make the connection with the original story.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Smith147

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

In brief: Yes.

But:

If you make a direct (word-for-word) copy of a news story, then you'll be in breach of copyright.
If you write a story with characters in it who are clearly based on specific living people then you (or your publishers) risk being sued for libel by those people if they think that your story disparages them unfairly.

That's the situation here in the UK. If you say where in the world you are then someone else may have other advice which is more relevant to you.

Load Full (0)