logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : How can I encourage more comments on my blog? I've been writing and running my own film and TV reviewing blog for about 8 months now, posting frequently (usually at least once a week) and

Merenda569 @Merenda569

Posted in: #Audience #Blog #Marketing

I've been writing and running my own film and TV reviewing blog for about 8 months now, posting frequently (usually at least once a week) and what I would consider good quality content (although obviously I am biased). I share my reviews on Facebook, Twitter and Google+ and I get an acceptable number of page views considering the fact that it is difficult to promote my blog any further than I already am.

However, I rarely get any comments on any of my posts. Being as films are so subjective and there are so many people who enjoy talking about films, this seems odd. How can I encourage current readers to comment more (short of asking people to comment in each post), and how can I expand my audience to include people more likely to comment?

I recently moved my blogs commenting system to Disqus as a first step.

Ideally, answers would include methods/styles of writing that help encourage discussion.

10.02% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (1) Report

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Ogunnowo420

Ogunnowo420 @Ogunnowo420

I'd say always end with some questions & appeals for comments, like
"What did you like or dislike about the movie? Am I being too harsh when I criticised $Actor for the way they portrayed their character in $Scene? How should they have done it? What would you like me to review or cover next time?"
Then when you do get comments, engage them in a friendly, non-defensive way. You appealed for opinions & they gave them. You may not agree, so engage in friendly debate about it. Encourage them to back up their assertions. Draw them out. If you find your answer to a question or comment is overly long, make that a new post & put a reply comment in saying "That's actually a very interesting idea! Thank you for that: I think it's interesting enough to devote a bit more time to it so I'm going to make a new post about that when I have time to give it the level of thought it deserves." - guaranteed to make them get a little rosy glow.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme