bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is there evidence for a categorical difference between British and American literary argument style? I overheard a friend say: "I was used to writing essays in the American style, where you - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I can't answer for the American system of essay writing, if there is one. However, I studied History and Philosophy to University degree level here in the United Kingdom and I was definitely expected to write in what you call the "British" style.

In other words, we were expected to report both sides of the argument fairly (to show we actually understood the arguments being made) before exploring the strengths and weaknesses of each side and drawing a conclusion.

When coming to a conclusion, we were expected to explain why we were rejecting the arguments with which we disagreed as well as explaining why the arguments we accepted carried the greater force.

I graduated in 1985 but, unless matters have changed dramatically since my day, then I would say there is a distinctive difference between American and British styles of essay writing.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Hamaas631

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best