bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : I would recommend Melville, particularly his descriptions of various events out at sea. He is a superb describer of action. With respect to weather, connecting it to the familiar is one method. - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I would recommend Melville, particularly his descriptions of various events out at sea. He is a superb describer of action.

With respect to weather, connecting it to the familiar is one method. Metaphors will be helpful here. You are correct in wanting to avoid clichés.

Simplicity is your friend here.

Consider this passage from Marquez, "The sky crumbled into a set of destructive thunderstorms."

It tells us all we need to know. More laborious descriptions of weather have to be done carefully because at some point, the reader loses the picture. The more specific your weather becomes, the less likely they are to follow (if wowing the reader is your priority).

First, what basic type are we dealing with. Snow, rain? I tend to build weather descriptions by emphasizing throughout.

The snow filled the air like ash. It was so cold, the windows cracked. The rain had the house feeling like a car wash.

And of course it's difficult because weather is non-human, and it's easy to forget the humanity is most important.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Jamie945

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best