bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How to cite a letter in an anthology using MLA? Does anyone know the proper way to cite a private letter printed in an anthology when using MLA? For example, I need to cite the letters from - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

Does anyone know the proper way to cite a private letter printed in an anthology when using MLA? For example, I need to cite the letters from Queen Victoria to her daughter, Princess Fredrick William. I have a basic setup, but I'm unsure if this is correct. This is what I have:

Victoria I, Queen of England. “Letter to Princess Fredrick William.” 24 Mar. 1858. The Longman Anthology of British Literature. Ed. David Damrosch and Kevin J. H. Dettmar. 4th ed. New York: Pearson and Longman, 2010. 1548. Print.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @BetL639

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

First, note that as of MLA 8 there is a basic way to cite any source. It goes as follows:

Author.
Title of source.
Title of container,
Other contributors,
Version,
Number,
Publisher,
Publication date,
Location.

If you can't find a way to cite a source, simply follow that basic outline. For info on it, check here.

I managed to find the way on how to cite a letter in MLA:

Cite a published letter the same way as a work in an anthology. After the name of the author, include any title the editor gives the letter and the date. Add the page numbers for the letter at the end of the citation.

Example

Bishop, Elizabeth. "To Robert Lowell." 26 Nov. 1951.
One Art: Letters. Ed. Robert Giroux. New York:
Farrar, 1994. 224-26.

See here for that example and the anthology section here for how to cite anthologies.

Load Full (0)