bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Why do writers sometimes use so much description? Why do many writers use a lot of description when presenting a character or a scene? Is this a writing tradition? Many characters in a book - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I don't know why your question got voted down; it's a perfectly legitimate question. Most works I read nowadays (I don't know how we can discuss writing without discussing existing works) don't have that much description. It seems most writers nowadays adhere to the school of minimalism or follow the style of the modernists (Ezra Pound, Hemingway, etc).

If you read a lot of Hemingway's short stories, he didn't use a lot of character descriptions. In fact, he doesn't describe the characters at all in "Hills Like White Elephants." You can get away with not describing the characters. Stein said "I like to see what the characters look like and what they're wearing from the way they talk."

On the other hand if you're good with descriptions then why not use them. You have to write to your strengths. If you're bad with descriptions then don't use them; if you're bad at spelling then don't use big words. It worked with Hemingway!

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Ann1701686

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best