bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Who do I cite as my source? When you have multiple sources for information like a quote, which source do you use in your book or essay. The one you may have gotten from an authors work - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Reference the quotes AND associated conclusions to respective authors.

You have two options in this case:

silently agree with the author of "Commentary..." and express their opinion as your own, supporting it with quote from Thomas Aquinas, and restrict your credit to relevant parts in the original "Sentences" - likely as sourced in the "Commentary". This way you used "Commentary" only as a learning resource that aided you in finding the respective source and aided you in forming your own opinion. You don't quote it, you quote Thomas Aquinus and express your own conclusions which happen to be similar to "Commentary" ones - you state "Aquinas believed intercourse with a pregnant woman was sinful"
refer opinion stated in the Commentary and present your own position in regard of that. Provide a quote from "Commentary..." and credit it with relevant references *to the "Commentary...". Include the full framing of the quote including opinion of the "Commentary" author and then express your opinion on that: "The author of 'Commentary on the Sentences' believes Aquinas believed intercourse with a pregnant woman was sinful. Considering the quotes presented from the original Sentences I'm inclined to agree with that conclusion."

It's up to you to choose the right option. If the quoted Sentences unambiguously support your thesis, go with (1) for clear, strong impact. If the quote is not so obvious, paraphrased, explained in finer details, referred etc, go with (2).

In the specific case you presented I don't see a single word directly quoted from Aquinas; this would mean you aren't referencing or quoting the source material - you are following the analysis, so (2) is the correct choice.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @YK4692630

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best