bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Building new species. How deep and how complex? In my latest project i developed new species not far different from humanoids. I am making whole history, gender interaction, abilities, their psychology - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

In my latest project i developed new species not far different from humanoids. I am making whole history, gender interaction, abilities, their psychology and trying to discribe their life and development from birth to adult person.

I even made patology report and developed special character, who made experiments from them.

My question is: "How far is good to go to discribe species its abilities and complexity for reader to be still interested in it?"

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @YK4692630

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

When I try to write about new species, and they're part of the ordinary world of the novel - but obviously completely unknown to the reader, then I actually have to know all of their peculiarities much better than I would have had to know if they had been new, unknown species to the world of the novel.

Some of the things about people we all know well on a subconscious level, so we don't have to worry about having to describe certain objects, motivations or even physical reactions.

Same thing should apply with new species you create.

The problem is that with the new species only you know about, it's easy to forego millions of years of "their" evolution (and potentially even miss the lessons from the evolution of humans as something the reader will likely reference in their mind) to arrive at a completely implausible and flat concept.

Hence, I strongly believe it still pays to do this kind of work, but not for the story itself, but as part of research for it.
Write it well and thoroughly, maybe take whatever is already part of the story and connects to the species, and write it down elsewhere in your "research" materials, expanding more on it.

Ideally, if you are serious about it, you will build a guidebook on the species, from history, to physical features, emotional composition, etc. etc.

Of course, you could always totally wing it too!

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Whatever point you choose on that spectrum you will have some readers who won't like the place that you have chosen. You will never get the balance exactly right for everyone.

I am sure some people would enjoy a purely anthropological study of another species, if it was well written and contained interesting insights - myself included. Equally, that would bore others to death.

Personally, I would aim to keep the details subtlety conveyed. I prefer to infer characteristics than to be told them directly. I like to have some gaps that make me wonder.

It also depends on the type of story you are telling, for example it would be difficult to naturally talk about the gender interactions of humans as a human. Whereas you could make a more naturally flowing story if you were talking about human gender interactions as seen from a non-human perspective.

It ultimately depends on what your goal for the story is, if you want a vehicle to convey the complexities you have created in this species then choose a story that helps to exhibit that. If you want the species characteristics to be incidental to the story you want to tell then work out how best to tell that story.

Decide on the story that you want to tell. The story that you would want to read. Write the story that you are passionate about, that you are excited to tell. Help the reader to understand what is so special about this species and they will enjoy the journey you take them on.

Load Full (0)