bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How does one avoid imposing one's own voice and preferences in critiques? When critiquing another's writing I find myself making suggestions that are clearly biased toward how I would write the - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

When critiquing another's writing I find myself making suggestions that are clearly biased toward how I would write the work. This effect seems particularly prevent for poetry, where suggestions are clearly biased by my preference for regularity (especially in meter), certain emotional expressions, and imagery and oblique references. (Poetry also tends to have a density of expression that justifies detailed analysis and a personal character that makes preferences easier to feel and more dangerous to express.)

Part of the problem is disentangling my own preferences from a more general perception of quality. My suggestions usually seem to provide general improvement even when I can clearly see that they are strongly biased by my own leanings.

While declaring my bias would help avoid imposing my preferences on a less confident writer, I think it would be helpful indicate in what ways suggestions lean toward more general quality improvements. However, I may not easily discern why I prefer a particular rephrasing beyond my own biases. Sometimes providing more than one rephrasing suggestion would help, allowing some variation in style or tone, but such does not seem practical for verse.

What are some disciplines and techniques to help avoid imposing my biases while still giving effective criticism?

While I also have significant biases in non-fiction in terms of organization, tone, and other aspects, it at least seems that I can more readily disentangle these preferences from more general quality concerns and to some degree accept different tones than I would prefer.

I suspect broader reading would help, but my motivation for specifically reading things I do not like is low.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Berryessa137

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

As @what sensibly points out, just because you have an opinion doesn't mean it's wrong.

Mention your biases up front. "I really enjoy rhyming poetry, and free verse doesn't work for me on an aesthetic level. That being said, if you do X and Y, you'll improve the tone of the line." If you don't want to feel like you're imposing, emphasize that your preference is one solution among many, and explain that you are making this suggestion because it's your preference/bias.

As an editor, I often like to ask "What's your goal here? If you want to do A, this is fine. If you're trying to do B, on the other hand, this doesn't accomplish that, and you should try XYZ instead." So you're asking the writer to examine what s/he wants to do with the work, and making broad suggestions of paths to take. How the author executes that suggestion is up to him/her, but you've at least made the person think about the end result.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I have been in a few writers' groups over the last five or so years (am in one now as well), so I'm speaking from experience, not hard facts, so take what you will from it. Also, I critique mostly prose, not poetry.

The best thing I've learned from these groups is to value your own opinion. If you don't like something, even for reasons you can't pin down, it's likely that someone else that person shares their work with (be it another critiquer or a future reader) will share that same view. Even if it's your personal bias, you aren't the only one who thinks that way. Share your concerns with that person: they aren't obligated to take your advice, but if you don't point it out, they'll never know there was even a concern.

They are asking for your advice, which they will realize comes with your own personal biases. You said "they are strongly biased by my own leanings." That's okay. We learn, and by imparting our knowledge to someone else, you're helping them grow as well.

As for imposing yourself on less confident writers, be honest with them, but don't hold back your opinion (for the same reasons above). While they may be a little more sensitive, if they are truly serious about writing, they will need to learn to take critiques with a grain of salt. That was a very hard lesson for me when I was first starting out, but it was a valuable one.

All in all, I would share your opinion, no matter how biased, because they are asking for your help. Be honest with them.

Load Full (0)