bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How does one avoid imposing one's own voice and preferences in critiques? When critiquing another's writing I find myself making suggestions that are clearly biased toward how I would write the - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I have been in a few writers' groups over the last five or so years (am in one now as well), so I'm speaking from experience, not hard facts, so take what you will from it. Also, I critique mostly prose, not poetry.

The best thing I've learned from these groups is to value your own opinion. If you don't like something, even for reasons you can't pin down, it's likely that someone else that person shares their work with (be it another critiquer or a future reader) will share that same view. Even if it's your personal bias, you aren't the only one who thinks that way. Share your concerns with that person: they aren't obligated to take your advice, but if you don't point it out, they'll never know there was even a concern.

They are asking for your advice, which they will realize comes with your own personal biases. You said "they are strongly biased by my own leanings." That's okay. We learn, and by imparting our knowledge to someone else, you're helping them grow as well.

As for imposing yourself on less confident writers, be honest with them, but don't hold back your opinion (for the same reasons above). While they may be a little more sensitive, if they are truly serious about writing, they will need to learn to take critiques with a grain of salt. That was a very hard lesson for me when I was first starting out, but it was a valuable one.

All in all, I would share your opinion, no matter how biased, because they are asking for your help. Be honest with them.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Welton431

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best