bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Using "and/or" in a manuscript I've used "and/or" in my writings in the past, but not for fiction manuscripts. Is it acceptable to use this? It's internal narration in a character's head and - selfpublishingguru.com

10.04% popularity

I've used "and/or" in my writings in the past, but not for fiction manuscripts. Is it acceptable to use this? It's internal narration in a character's head and intended to have a bit of morbid humor to it, but I don't know if I should avoid it all together or if it's okay to use.

Though the second guard complicated things, Fields was now out in the same room with Paul. And Fields was far more qualified for an escape attempt than Paul was. He planned to let Fields take the lead and try not to slow him down and/or get killed.

Load Full (3)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Welton431

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

In scientific writing, usage of and/or is not preferred. Consider the following example:

The equation uses A and/or B. (not preferred)
The equation uses A, B, or both. (preferred)

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I would not recommend using and/or. There are a number of style guides and English references that severely criticize it. For example:

Chicago Manual of Style ("Avoid this Janus-faced term. It can often be replaced by and or or with no loss in meaning.")
Strunk and White ("damages a sentence and often leads to confusion or ambiguity")
Fowler's English Usage (an "ugly device" that may be "common and convenient in some kinds of official, legal, and business documents, but should not be allowed outside them")

I'm sure there are others.

Rewording it is almost always simple, clear and easy to do. I would only use it if a character uses it regularly as part of their speech, otherwise, I would avoid it for the simple reason that, for me, it provides nothing of substantial benefit, but carries a number of negatives, particularly because I think readers may find it a little jarring and possibly confusing.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I don't generally see anything wrong with using "and/or" in fiction, but you need to make sure that it is used in an appropriate way. You need to look at your writing as two separate sentences and make sure that they each come across the way you intended.

He planned to let Fields take the lead and try not to slow him down
and get killed.

He planned to let Fields take the lead and try not to slow him down or
get killed.

Another option would be to consider rewriting it all together.

He planned to let Fields take the lead and try not to slow him down,
or worse, get him killed.

Load Full (0)