bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How to convey newlines in tweeted poetry, if at all? Suppose I've written a haiku as 3 consecutive lines with standard punctuation as if it was normal free text, which means I don't use special - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

Suppose I've written a haiku as 3 consecutive lines with standard punctuation as if it was normal free text, which means I don't use special punctuation at the end of a line just because it's the end of a line but only if normal language rules demand/allow punctuation. Now haikus in their concise nature seem well-suited to be published over Twitter (or your favourite alternative short message format), yet Twitter doesn't seem to support newlines very well while I think much of the beauty of a haiku might as well come from its 3-line structure.

Being rather unexperienced with Twitter and writing poetry, though, I wonder if there is some commonly accepted way to at least convey the notion of "virtual" newlines in a continuous text in some other way, e.g. through the use of punctuation, say a hyphen or slash or whatever. Or maybe this is rather bad advice in general? Even if this is likely not an entirely strict rule there might be commonly accepted approaches to this or at least insights from more experienced writers in how to tackle this problem, if at all. Maybe this problem should just be ignored in favour of a better text-flow.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Turnbaugh521

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

If you hold down the Shift key and press Enter it adds a line break. Apparently it won't work in some clients, but I just tried it on a tweet and it seems to work.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

In general, to convey poetic line breaks in "continuous text", replace the line break with a slash. "I've never seen a purple cow./I never hope to see one./But I can tell you anyhow,/I'd rather see than be one."

I don't use Twitter so I can't say if this convention is commonly used there, but it's the normal convention in other contexts.

Load Full (0)