bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Real cities & placing fictional cities I'm currently experimenting with a story and its setting for a comic. The overall setting is simple: it is set in the real world, though slightly different - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

If you do web searches on movies cities and books cities (and similar searches), you get lots of hits that you'll probably find helpful. Stuff like "Top 10 cities on film", "Cities as characters in film", "50 Coolest Fictional Cities". Also, searching for videos using travelogue CityName (e.g., travelogue "New York City") gives useful hits. The web is your best friend when you're researching for a comic (or book, or whatever). Just don't let it trap you so you never write the comic! ;-)

As far as what American city to choose: Unless you're going for realism, I would recommend creating a fictional city that is co-located with a real city. Then take the elements you admire about various cities and combine them. For example, I personally think that Seattle's geographical location is amazing. You can't beat Puget Sound. But Seattle's downtown is underwhelming. OTOH, NYC is too much for my taste. I prefer the skyscraper-filled but compact downtowns of Philadelphia or Chicago. Then again, the open malls of monument-filled Washington, DC are also impressive. Islands and bridges are great for stories, as are hills. Harbors just beg for international intrigue.

If you set your comic in the future, or in an alternate reality, you can make your comic's city any way you like it, but still have it seem real because you've based it on real cities.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Berumen699

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best